Saturday, October 06, 2007

Mmmm. Mashed Potatoes

So, unbeknownst to most, I flew home this weekend to surprise most of my loved ones. I really wanted to be home for the weekend, and, it feels so good to see the familiar faces again.
So far, it has been good; I have seen so many of the folks I wanted to see, hugged a bunch of people, and been smiling and laughing for a few days straight. Like I said, it feels good to be here. Even though it seems so much more flat than I remember.
I've been thinking a lot about the past month and how my life has changed since I was last on the 806. It is...more than I thought it would be. Linden has not changed too much, but there are a couple things that have, or are in the process, and those are the things that I never really wanted to change. And they are small things too, so seemingly insignificant, but the few things that I call my very own.
Anyway, being back here has also realize how my definition of "home" has changed too. Linden feels good. I love so many people here, and I enjoy the prairies. I'm staying in my old house too and have been venturing to my usual haunts (I mean, I've only been gone a month!), but they are just not the same. This house, is not my house anymore, and I think that is the weirdest part. Sometime, even in the course of a month, without my consciousness knowledge, my home transitioned to Abbotsford. My stuff is all there, my room, my new job at Starbucks, my school, my bus route, trees, dogs, landlords...everything that demands my attention is in a whole other place now. All I have for Linden now are a town full of people I love and memories. It is so weird! I guess I am still working on finding my place in this world! I keep reminding myself, if it is this strange for me now, I can not imagine what it will be when I move to Latin America!

No comments: