Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One Week

Sadly, summer is over. I am moving into a new place back in Abbotsford this weekend and start school and work in only a week. Despite the fact that I have been preparing to move back to Abby all summer long, I don't feel particularly ready. I have been in the process of moving since the beginning of August, and for the past three weeks, all of my junk and all of my furniture has been packed up and in storage which has been, needless to say, increasingly frustrating. It's almost moving day though. I keep having to tell myself that.

August has most defiantly been a busy month. I am feeling absolutely bagged, despite all the holidays I have taken. I finished working at the restaurant on the ninth, and on the tenth, my roommate and I took off to Montana to meet up with some of our friends and his family who were already camping down at Lake Koocanusa. We camped out there from about a week. The weather was amazing and incredibly warm, making it easier to go into the chilly lake. Unfortunately, about half way through our stay, I started to get a little sick and had to take it easy for a few days, but managed to enjoy some beach and water time. My friends and I actually stranded ourselves on the lake when the Sea doo we were scooting around on ran out of gas. Fun times. We managed to beach the Sea doo on this pristine inlet where the water was beautifully clear. Our suffering was short lived.

After a week at the lake, my roomie and I took off up to Abbotsford to get an apartment, which, after seemingly endless tribulations, we finally have. Once we gave all of our money to the landlord, we took off down the Oregon coast. We didn't get very far (being in a vehicle was becoming an arduous task) and stopped by the time we hit Seaside and Cannon Beach. However, we quite happily stopped there as both towns are amazingly gorgeous. We ended up spending two days on the ocean, getting absolutely soaked in the randomly pouring rain, but it was worth it. We had intended on camping, but that quickly was set aside for a few dry hotel rooms. One of the hotels we stayed in was operated by a man who not only looked just like Santa Claus, but played the part every December. And he was quite the jolly fellow.

Eventually we headed back to Linden. The prospect of being able to avoid being in a vehicle was too tantalizing. Also, we really needed to finish getting ready to move.

So now I am idling away my last few days in Alberta. And these are my last few days too. I mean, this time, I am completely moving to Abbotsford. Besides visiting purposes, my time in Linden has come to a close. I hope next summer to find a job or internship with an NGO or aid agency of some sort, or be doing something I absolutely love, and can see myself doing for the rest of my life. Preferably I would be doing that right now, but I'm just going back to Starbucks for now—it works to well with my school schedule.


No comments: